Pride is something we all have to deal with… if you think you don’t have any issues with pride you are probably not thinking clearly.
Pride can manifest in different ways, here are just a few:
- Seeing yourself as being someone who is better than most people.
- Thinking of yourself as someone who has arrived.
- Having an unteachable attitude.
- Thinking you do not need to listen to your Pastors and leaders.
- Assuming you have nothing you need to work on.
- Thinking you have no blind spots.
- Standing on the good you did in the past to condemn others or to make an excuse for your current stance.
- Never seeing your wrongs in a disagreement or argument.
- Being a critical person who always sees plenty of faults in everyone else and few or no faults in yourself.
- Harbouring offence, especially when based on assumptions.
The call to humility is a call to arms, to war against pride in our hearts, thoughts and behaviour.
Let’s remember the words of Jesus:
“Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” (Matthew 7:3, ESV)
Are you willing to deal with the pride in your life today? Resolve to let humility win over pride this year.